Homemade Pickled Beetroot
- 4-6 medium-sized fresh beetroot, washed and peeled
- 240 ml white vinegar
- 240 ml water
- 120 g granulated sugar
- 5 g salt
- 5 g black peppercorns
- 5 g mustard seeds
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Slice the peeled beetroot into thin rounds or sticks, depending on your preference.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the white vinegar, water, sugar, salt, black peppercorns, and mustard seeds. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar and salt are fully dissolved.
- Add the sliced garlic and red onion to the saucepan, and let them simmer with the mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Carefully add the sliced beetroot to the saucepan and cook for about 5-10 minutes until the beetroot is slightly tender but still has a crisp texture. Be careful not to overcook; you want the beetroot to retain some crunch.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled, transfer everything, including the liquid, to a clean, sterilised glass jar or container with an airtight lid. Make sure the beetroot slices are fully submerged in the liquid.
- Seal the jar tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before consuming. The longer you let it sit, the more the flavours will develop.
- Enjoy your homemade pickled beetroot as a delicious side dish, salad topping, or snack!