Autumn Apple Crisp
- 500g apples (assorted varieties), peeled, cored, and sliced
- 150g rolled oats
- 75g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 75g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Vanilla ice cream or custard (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples with lemon juice, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Toss until the apples are coated with the spices.
- Transfer the seasoned apples to the greased baking dish and spread them out evenly.
- In a separate bowl, mix rolled oats, plain flour, brown sugar, and cubed unsalted butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the oat topping over the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden and crisp.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or custard on top.