Simple Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium Maris Peer potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 200g green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 150g kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic, sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Stir in diced carrots, celery, potatoes, and chopped leek. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add a bay leaf and dried thyme to the pot, then pour in the vegetable stock and canned chopped tomatoes.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the trimmed green beans and chopped kale to the pot. Continue to simmer for another 5-7 minutes until the greens are cooked.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each serving with chopped fresh parsley before serving.